< Back to 68k.news UK front page

Hero taxi driver spotted red light on Liverpool hospital bomber's vest

Original source (on modern site) | Article images: [1]

A security guard who ran to help hero cabbie David Perry after the Liverpool hospital bomb has told how the taxi driver 'acted very bravely and very quickly'.

Darren Knowles said Mr Perry only realised it was a bomb when he spotted a red light flashing on the attackers vest.

Emad Al Swealmeen, who was a passenger in the taxi, died when when the bomb exploded outside Liverpool Women's Hospital shortly before the two minutes' Remembrance Sunday silence on November 14.

Mr Knowles, from Runcorn, Cheshire, was standing only metres away from the taxi when the blast happened.

READ MORE: Dad 'died for 25 minutes' after his heart stopped during six-week Covid battle

He told BBC North West Tonight he heard a bang that 'wasn't a very loud' and initially thought the car had backfired.

He said: "[Mr Perry] said: 'Been blown up, been blown up. There's a bomb in my car'.

"[The taxi driver] seen a little red light on the vest the passenger was wearing, that gave it away for him to do something and he acted very quickly and very bravely."

Darren Knowles (Image: Rowan Griffiths / Daily Mirror)

Mr Knowles said he was still 'very shocked' but was trying to 'keep himself busy' and 'not to dwell on it too much'.

He added: "I'm still having the odd flashbacks but I'm coping.

"I'm just glad the taxi driver's OK."

David Perry with wife Rachel

Mr Perry has previously said it's a 'miracle' he survived.

He said: "I feel like it's a miracle that I'm alive and so thankful that no one else was injured in such an evil act.

Emad Al Swealmeen (Image: Echo)

"I now need time to try to come to terms with what's happened and focus on my recovery both mentally and physically."

Counter Terrorism Policing North West are continuing to investigate the explosion.

In a statement on Thursday afternoon police said a search at a property of Rutland Avenue in relation to the incident had finished and the cordon had been lifted.

'Our investigation remains very much ongoing', the CTPNW statement added.

Sign up to the MEN email newsletters to get the latest on sport, news, what's on and more by following this link

< Back to 68k.news UK front page