< Back to 68k.news UK front page

Hull factory fire involved 300 tonnes of plastic

Original source (on modern site) | Article images: [1]

Image source, Cory Simmonds

Image caption,

The blaze involved 300 tonnes of plastics

A large fire involving 300 tonnes of plastic has been brought under control, the fire service said.

The fire at Bridgewood UK's plastic products factory in Hessle, near Hull, began at about 16:00 GMT on Wednesday, prompting evacuations and road closures. No-one was injured.

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service said it was still at the site damping down, more than 24 hours after the blaze.

Officials said an investigation into the cause would take several days.

At its height, 14 fire engines and about 70 firefighters were at the scene as flames engulfed the manufacturing plant. That had been reduced to about three appliances by late afternoon on Thursday.

Image source, CL29Photography/PA Media

Image caption,

At the height of the blaze plumes of thick black smoke could be seen across the city

Image source, Alan Martin

Image caption,

The fire service said the smoke should not leave an impact on the community

The fire service said the blaze was fuelled by about 300 tonnes of rigid plastic.

It produced thick black smoke that could be seen for miles, there were explosions and black, charred plastic debris landed in nearby gardens.

Some homes in the area, which is about five miles (8km) west of Hull city centre, were evacuated, roads closed and bus services re-routed.

Jason Kirby, from the fire service, said some small pockets of fire remained, but added residents should not be alarmed.

Image caption,

The fire on Wednesday was classed as a "major incident" and has devastated the factory

People in the area were initially told to keep doors and windows closed, but the fire service said that was no longer necessary.

"We are really confident the risk is incredibly low from those products' combustion now, because we've knocked the fire down so significantly," Mr Kirby said.

"Any dangerous products in there, because of the high temperatures, will have burned off and shouldn't impact any of the community."

The fire service is also working with the Environment Agency to ensure there is no pollution to local watercourses or the Humber estuary.

'Explosions shaking building'

Eyewitness Luke, an apprentice at a nearby garage, said the blaze had spread rapidly through the factory.

"It was just expanding really fast. About 10 minutes and it must have been like more than half the building fully engulfed.

"The explosions were that bad it was shaking the building. It was loud."

Meanwhile, Darren Spence tweeted that his father, who worked next door to the factory, had said the entire site had burned to the ground.

Image source, Darren Spence

Image caption,

Fire crews used foam to extinguish the blaze

Sue, who lives in the area, said it had been a frightening evening.

"All you could hear was this big boom and several smaller explosions. I could hear children crying, it was quite scary really."

She said a lot of people in the area would be worried about their jobs at the factory.

"It is a local business we've lost. It's very sad. Hessle is a small community anyway and a lot of people work there."

Police cordons remain in place near the scene and Buttfield Road and Ferry Road remain closed.

Follow BBC East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Send your story ideas to yorkslincs.news@bbc.co.uk.

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.

< Back to 68k.news UK front page